Wednesday, February 24, 2010

how many?

Well, here we are on the cusp of 36 weeks. You'd think that means I have 4 weeks left of this pregnancy, but really? Who knows. At Monday's NST, the kind nurse informed me that GD pregnancies are normally induced at 39 weeks if labor doesn't start naturally before then. Last week, a doc and another nurse told me that I'd reached the stage where, if labor were to start on its own, no effort would be made to stop it. My siblings and I were all between 4 days and 3 weeks early. My sister's first was early, and her second was induced but I don't trust the accuracy of her LMP calculations.

Ishkabible and I have chatted about her entrance into this world and agree that he's a March baby. True, the birthstone isn't the best, but we don't want to wait for the April diamond and February's amethyst just seems a little too early. C, on the other hand, has had enough of the waiting and wants to hold his baby NOW. The irony of having been unemployed for nearly 5 months, and now being literally days from starting a new job (as my employee, for our new business) is not lost on either of us. But we're not picky about the timing. Just deliriously happy the be so close to meeting this baby.

I suspect that labor will commence within 3 days of C starting to work again, just because that's how our lives go. Remember what happened last year? In the middle of the unemployed season, C suddenly found himself with two simultaneous work commitments (a lucrative temporary gig and a snowstorm to plow) AND the RE's requirement that the "partner" deliver the donor sperm for a DIUI. No obligations for months, but then three conflicting ones in a single day. Yup, that's our norm. Feast or famine, and not much in between.

Then again, Ishka might be the beginning of our bucking that trend. The truth is that no one can predict when we'll get to see Ishka face-to-face. The excitement builds daily. We can't wait!

No comments: