Wednesday, February 24, 2010

the birth plan

Here's what we came up with for a birth plan. We're taking a natural approach since we'd like as few foreign substances as possible clouding our first moments as a 3-piece family. I had the nurse look this over at Monday's NST and she liked it. She even said that this is the kind of birth that the nursing staff most like to see. We'll see how reality compares to the plan once it's all said and done.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
We understand that our birth plan is simply a guideline for how we’d like to experience the birth of our child. Everything is subject to change as needed for the health of mother and child.

The room and general atmosphere-
o I’d like only my husband and necessary medical staff in the room during labor and birth. I’d like C to take photographs of whatever he sees fit to photo.
o I’d like to bring music to listen to.
o I’d like to keep the lights dim and the background noise to a minimum.

During labor-
o Please send me home if I am not in active labor.
o Please keep internal exams to a minimum.
o Please do not augment or induce labor unless medically necessary.
o Please do not artificially rupture the amniotic membranes unless medically necessary.
o Please allow my labor to progress without stringent time limits.
o I’d like my husband to stay with me at all times.
o I’d like to stay hydrated by drinking instead of having an IV.
o I’d like to be free to walk and move around as I choose.
o I’d prefer intermittent rather than continuous monitoring.
o I’d like to use the bathtub, a birthing stool, a birthing ball, or any other accessory that feels right.

Pain relief-
o Please do not offer me pain medication. I will ask for it if I need it.
o I will manage discomfort with self-hypnosis, breathing, massage, and the bath/shower.

During birth-
o I’d like to push when my body instinctively feels the need to do so. Please do not coach me to push before my body feels ready, unless medically necessary.
o I’d like to give birth in whatever position feels right to me, including semi-reclining, side-lying, squatting, or hands-and-knees.
o If available and the appropriate staff are on-hand, I’d like to give birth in a birthing tub or pool.
o I’d prefer not to have an episiotomy.
o I’d like to touch my baby’s head as it crowns.
o I’d like the room to be as quiet as possible, and the lights dim.
o I may wish to view the birth using a mirror (I think I’d like to).

After birth-
o I’d like to hold our baby right away, skin-to-skin on my chest, putting off any procedures that aren’t urgent.
o I’d like to breastfeed as soon as possible.
o I’d like to wait until the umbilical cord stops pulsating before it’s clamped and cut.
o Please do not administer routine pitocin after our baby is born.
o I’d like my husband to cut the cord, but if he’s unable or unwilling, please offer the opportunity to me.
o Please do not administer eye drops to our baby until we have had time to make prolonged eye contact and to bond.
o Please conduct any necessary newborn procedures or tests in our presence, in our room.
o Please do not give our baby any shots in the first 24 hours of life, unless absolutely medically necessary.
o We plan to breastfeed exclusively. Please do not offer anything (water, pacifier, formula, etc.) to our baby at any point.
o We’d like to breastfeed our baby on-demand and keep our baby in our room at all times.
o If our baby needs to be taken from our room for any reason, either my husband or I will accompany the baby at all times.
o If our baby is a boy, we do NOT want him circumcised.

This is our first child, and we’ll certainly be a bit nervous. We welcome your encouragement and support, as well as suggestions you may have that fit with our overall plan to have a natural, unmedicated and peaceful birth. Thank you for sharing this momentous time with us.

4 comments:

IrishNYC said...

It sounds like a great plan!

I didn't have a birth plan because I knew from our Lamaze class and touring our hospital's sister facility that everything we wanted for our birth was standard procedure for our hospital. Even things I hadn't thought much about (music, dim lights, husband with me at all times, do not offer pain meds, allowing labor to progress until it became dangerous for baby, etc) were all the norm. The only thing I asked for that they would not allow was for me to keep my bra on, and they would not allow me to drink.

Anonymous said...

This sounds like a wonderful birthing plan. I hope that everything goes as planned, and you have a wonderful birthing experience!

Fertility Chick said...

I love plans! I hope that if I get to the stage where I have to make a birth plan, I can lean on you for some support. :)

Thank you for your kind comment on my blog - I appreciate the encouragement!

Wishing you well! It was very exciting to read this kind of plan!

IrishNYC said...

I hope you and Ishka are still hanging in there. You haven't posted in a while and I've been thinking about you.