Wednesday, January 20, 2010

a sweet A at 30w6d

Today, I met again with the Doc in charge of the OB practice. She wanted to follow up with me when I had another week or so of blood sugar numbers to report. Once again, I had a few that were a little high, but I've discovered a simple way to deal with them. Upon seeing my first 150+, I took off for a brisk 45 minute walk then tested again at 2 hours post-meal. I could hardly believe it when the meter indicated my blood sugar had dropped more than 65 points. I've had only 2 more 150+ readings since then (one brought on by a breakfast of unprocessed, no-sugar cooked oats with 6 cranberries, a sprinkle of Splenda and a splash of unsweetened almond milk), and each time my glucose dropped below 90 by the 2-hour mark thanks to a short (only 10 minutes) walk. My short walk solution also preceeded the testing on one occasion when I ate a little more pizza than I should have. The result? A very satisfying 112 at one hour post-meal.

I'm amazed that something so simple as a walk, and a short one at that, can have such a dramatic impact on my blood sugar. I'm now walking for at least 10 minutes every day, usually after whichever meal seems least GD-friendly. The Doc gave me an "A" for this appointment thanks to my "overall healthy numbers (sugars-wise)," my good blood pressure (117/62 or something like that), the absence of any bad stuff in my urine, Ishkabibble's healthy heart rate (always in the 140's), and the fact that my weight has held steady for the last few appointments.

My next visit will be with a **gasp** male doctor in the practice. They rotate on-call duties, so there's no way to know ahead of time who'll be on when Ishka decides to enter the world. I want to be familiar with each of them before that day comes, so my next couple of appointments are with "new" doctors. I'll go back to "my" midwife for the last few weeks. Appointments are every 2 weeks now, and it sounds like the off weeks will be filled with ultrasounds and non-stress tests. I hope juggling all these appointments doesn't speed up time. I'm very happy with Ishka where he is for now, and in no hurry for her to come out.

1 comment:

Kate said...

so glad your appointment went so well! and
so very happy to have met you in real life. You really made it easy, thank you.

I've become a compulsive talisman toucher, but I think the elephant can handle it. Thank you so much for lending me something so beautiful and meaningful. I look forward to returning it across my big belly someday soon.

So happy for your "A"! And I told my friend about your magical walks--it is darned amazing what our bodies can do.

warmly,
Kate