Tuesday, January 5, 2010

sugary sweet

I just called to check on my 3-hour glucose test results. I failed 3 of the 4 time-frames, and even my fasting level was elevated. Next step- schedule an appointment with a nutritionist for diabetes education where I'll learn what foods to avoid and how to test my blood sugar. I guess I'll be testing twice each morning for a while, both before and after breakfast, to see if diet keeps things under control. I don't know if I'll stop testing once that proves sufficient, or if I'll test for the rest of the pregnancy regardless of the results. I haven't had the chance to consult with Dr. Google yet, and I'm not jumping to any hasty conclusions.

On the plus side (there's that reluctant optimist in me again), I think this means we'll have an extra u/s or two to see if Ishka is getting too big.

I'm still not overly worried. This is something to deal with, and not entirely unexpected. I am, after all, over 40 and a little overweight. I can deal with this.

5 comments:

just me, dawn said...

Boo for having to use the meter, but agreed about the extra ultrasounds, They will keep a close eye on you two which is a good thing :)

sarah said...

that's a pretty good silver lining!

Lisa said...

Well, it's obviously not the most fun thing in the world, but you're right. The silver lining is some extra peeks at your little one! When Ishka finds out how much you went through, he/she will know just how wanted and loved he/she is!!

BB said...

Sorry, you failed the test... but it ain't that difficult... let me know if you have any questions and I can try to pass on any info I have.

IrishNYC said...

Oh no! Hopefully you can control it with diet, and not have to resort to insulin.

I won't kid you, it was hard for me to cut out carbs because I had so many issues with meat: smell, texture - argh! it was all so icky to me, but I had to get over it quick.

There are quite a few low carb bread options. I don't usually eat anything with HFCS, but that went out the window while I had GD, because I had to go with whatever low carb options I had. Wonder makes some "light" breads that are low carb, and Arnold has some that are specifically labeled "low carb" or "carb conscious".

Dairy can counter some of the effects of carbs, as well. For instance, if I ate a meal that was a bit high in carbs, if I had a few slices of cheese with it, it would keep my glucose down. My endocrinologist said the fat in the cheese slows the absorption of the carbs, keeping your glucose down.

Feel free to email me if you need any help at all. I know the first week was very hard for me.

Hang in there!