Tuesday, October 14, 2008

the bbt habit

I woke up this morning at about 2:30 when C crawled back into bed. I found out later that he woke inexplicably at 2am and went downstairs for a glass of water. I refused to open my eyes or speak for fear of waking myself completely, but when I was even more awake at 2:52, I gave up. And what did I do, first-thing upon deciding that I just wasn't getting any more sleep? That's right- I reached for my trusty thermometer that has been a fixture on my bedside table for exactly 7 months and took my bbt to start the day.

Seven months of temperature plotting. Fertility Friend is "full," so instead of their nifty charts and observations, I've created my own spreadsheet and analyzed it myself. I laughed in July when the first fertility clinic I visited said to the AI orientation audience that our first step would be to begin plotting bbt's for at least three months. Ha! I had four under my belt by then. I was a pro. And my charts were so pretty and predictable, with a dramatic temperature rise indicating ovulation on CD17. I temp now, not so much to learn my body's rhythm but to try to guess what it'll be each day. My guess was off by 0.03 today. Not bad.

Anyhow, I am looking forward to the day when I can just wake up in the morning and relax, not worry about sticking a thermometer in my mouth or waking up my husband with all the beeping. I wonder if it'll be a hard habit to break?

No comments: