Sunday, July 1, 2012

Memorable moments

Charlotte packed up her pink plastic Halloween pumpkin with a tiara, some blocks, and some bracelets today.  She put it on her arm like a purse, marched toward the door, and announced, "I'm ready for the pah-tee ("party," in Massachusetts-speak) now.  I'm going to the pah-tee.  I'm getting married at the pah-tee!"   [I have lived in New England on and off for 34 years, but I learned to speak in Georgia.  I have neither a southern nor a Massachusetts accent.  I have not lost my R's.  In spite of spending most of her time with me, Charlotte seems to have picked up her father's accent.  Wierd, huh?]  [And MARRIED????!? Where did she get that idea?]

Charlotte likes to sit on the couch, turn on my pump, and put the adapter cap against her chest.  She sees me pump and wants to make bottles of milk for her babies, too.  She has also offered her bare chest to her dolls and to Maggie.

Our latest assortment of books from the library includes "Angelina Ballerina."  Charlotte loves it.  She asked me what a plie, an arabesque, and a curtsy are.  I showed her and now she insists on practicing her ballet before bed each night.  I took ballet lessons until I was 8 or 9 years old, so I think I showed her the correct moves.

Charlotte can say (and use) some pretty complicated words quite well, like arabesque and stethoscope.  She also seems to have learned the correct use of the words "I" and "me."   As a grammar-snob, this makes me very very proud and happy.

There are at least 10 "friends," one pillow, and four blankets in Charlotte's bed.  When she wakes up from a nap or in the morning, she likes to toss them all on the floor to make room for jumping and hopping in her crib.  Before she'll lie down to go to sleep, each item must be properly placed in its own special spot.  It's a great stall-tactic at bedtime.

At the end of her bath tonight, Charlotte announced that she was finished and that she needed to sit on her new potty (I thought she'd be more likely to use it if she picked it out).  She pooped (hurray!), then looked at it and said, "I made a pine cone."

Charlotte doesn't want to wear anything identical to what Maggie's wearing, but she frequently insists that they both wear the same color.

Maggie reached out and held Charlotte's hand today when the three of us were watching the Backyardigans on TV.  Charlotte wasn't in the mood for hand-holding, but tolerated it for a minute or two.  (I'm really enjoying the music and dancing on that show and can't get the theme song out of my head.)

I showed Charlotte "European kisses" last week (three kisses on alternating cheeks).  Now, she asks for "my'pean" kisses.  Get it?  "Your-pean."  "My-pean."  I love it when she makes logical leaps like that.

Maggie is completely entranced with Charlotte and contorts herself if need be to get a view of her.  Charlotte still asks to hold Maggie almost every day, and now she really wants to HOLD her, not have Maggie propped up beside her.

Maggie is sleeping through the night (from before 8 until after 4) about 80% of the time now.

I had steroid injections in both thumbs last week to address my trigger finger problems.  The injections were extremely uncomfortable, and my thumbs were in a LOT of pain for about 24 hours afterwards, but by day three I was able to straighten both thumbs painlessly.  One still clicks a little, but the doctor said it could take 3-4 weeks for the injections to fully take effect.

Charlotte loves Thomas the Tank Engine, so we went to a local touristy train-to-nowhere to see him this week.  The excitement on the faces of all the 2-5 year-olds as Thomas pulled into the station was priceless.

Laid-back Maggie, enjoying her playmat solo because Charlotte was napping.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

"I made a pine cone" cracked me up! I'm still laughing. Oh my gosh, I love this age!!